Glow For The Cure
Collective Yoga would like to invite you to our studio on July 28th, 2017 from 6:30pm-8:00pm.
During this time we will be offering a DONATION-based class. All proceeds from this special even with go towards Mitochondrial Disease research. This special class is called “Glow For The Cure,” and this cause is incredibly important to the Collective Yoga family.
We encourage all friends, family, and participants to wear neon colors, bring glow sticks, and use body paint! This will be a blacklight class, and it will be a lot of fun, not to mention that it supports a great cause.
What is Mitochondrial Disease?
- Mitochondria are small structures within most cells of the human body that metabolize food we eat into energy. They are the “power house” of our cells.
- When the mitochondria aren’t working properly, the body does not have energy to carry out basic functions
- Disease can occur at any age but most commonly occurs in infants and children
- Symptoms can vary from person to person. Some examples include fatigue, weakness, digestive problems, liver failure, diabetes, and visual and hearing loss
- There is no known cure for Mitochondrial disease
Why do we need to help?
- Mitochondrial disease affects 1 in 2,500 people- the same amount as those affected by cystic fibrosis
- It is commonly misdiagnosed or looked-over because of lack of awareness from physicians and the general public
Who are we helping?
All donations will go directly towards the Mitochondrial Research Affinity Group at the Children’s Hospital of Philadelphia. Through research and clinical trials this group is working towards understanding how to better diagnose, treat, and hopefully one day find a cure